Monday, April 1, 2013

Jesse's Pick Graduation Trip 2012

We headed to Washington DC over the Summer and what a Trip!!!  There is nothing more awesome than viewing the amazing history that sits in our Capitol!!!  We loved the whole trip and there is no way we could see even a tenth of the amazing things there are to see there in the week we were there, but we sure tried!!!
Of the 400+ pictures I made 20 collages for the blog.  I will be making a book that is just our trip but here is a small portion of what we saw!  It was AMAZING!!!!

 Arlington Cemetary....the most beautiful place...it has such a wonderful spiritual feel.  I think I could have sat there every day and watched at the Tomb of the unknown soldier.  The bottom right picture is JFK's eternal flame.
 Our first day there we went to a Washington Nationals game very cool, our favorite part is the Former Presidents foot race. Hilarious!!  It was free Jersey day for the kids so the girls got one each!!
 A few pictures of the capitol building.  We even saw Speaker of the House John Boehner's Door!!!
 We went out to Arlington a second day (found the Jesse headstone) and then walked over to the Iwo Jima memorial.  Not sure what the big cat thing was the kids were sitting on.  The other two pictures at the bottom, the kids are standing in the very Center of the Capitol, and that brown dot on the leg is from a shooting that took place in the capitol they left it there.
 Jefferson Memorial...it rained while we were there so we stayed inside the memorial for a bit waiting for it to pass.
 The Library of Congress...completely disappointed in this tour, but an amazingly beautiful building. Our guide was crazy.  He'd ask questions, no one would answer and he'd sit there till someone did, then if it wasn't the answer he wanted then he'd point at you, yell no...and proceed to tell you what he wanted to hear.  We were also a little disappointed we couldn't go into the actual library part...You know, where Nicholas Cage found the Book of Secrets?  They wouldn't even let us take a picture from the viewing balcony of it.
 Pictures of us walking around the National Mall area...way bigger than it looks on a map!!!
 Pictures of us around the air and space museum and standing by our Chinese Zodiac characters.
 Washington National Cathedral...very cool!  It was a beautiful building, a lot of neat history inside.  Its taken 90 years (I think that's how many) to build it...they just keep building on.
 I hope I don't get arrested because I put this picture on here!!!!  Apparently there was a sign that said no pictures.  I knew on the inside, I didn't know you couldn't on the outside too!!!
 The Pentagon 9-11 memorial.  Such a neat memorial...for such a sad day.
 We went paddle boating around the Jefferson Memorial one day we saw a few helicopters flying around and we were sure one of them was Marine One!!!  The lower left picture was the Martin Luther King Memorial it was huge!!!
 Smithsonian Museum, the top left picture is a sunstone from the original Nauvoo Temple and Abbie was surprised to see the Golden Spike!!!
 A few Random pictures of us around DC.  The Koren War memorial are the top two middle picts.  The bottom right was our last day there and our feet were so tired (in my family growing up my dad would have said we were walking in pools of blood!) we are sitting on the steps of the World War I Memorial.
 The Supreme Court was a very cool tour and worth the wait.  Out side when we came out there was a huge protest (I can't remember what they were protesting)  The bell and the other two outdoor memorial were just random memorials around the city.
 Vietnam Memorial and the White House...waiting at the bus stop and I don't know what the first building was and the second building says Organization of the American States. I know they were by the White House because they were amongst the pictures on that days walk!!!
 More Pictures inside the Capitol Building
 Pictures of us at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  The girls are wish for the million in $10 bills and did you ever wonder how tall you would be in $ bills??? Knapp...a family name...wonder if we're related???

The gate at the metro to China town...Kids standing at Fords Theater and the building they took Lincoln to after he was shot and this is where he died.  The Hard Rock Cafe and our daily walk from our Hotel to this metro station.


The FDR Memorial...very cool.  As you walked they had things that represented the years of his presidency and on the ground said First Term, Second Term...and so on.  Interesting.

No comments: