This last week I said goodbye Joy (a good friend and neighbor) that moved to another state, it was also our Christensen Family reunion that we spent up in Eden Utah with my family for 4 days and then today being Sunday I have been reflecting on life and how grateful I am for my life, the people I know, and for eternal families and how much harder I need to work!!!
To me its always been easy to be good. I haven't really ever done anything that was wild or bad. But on the flip side I haven't ever been Great either, well at least not consistently we all have our moments I suppose!!!
Today in church there were so many beautiful testimonies borne that I am grateful for. I don't ever bear my testimony in church (being nervous and afraid is one reason) but because I feel like I don't have anything extra to offer anyone, my testimony is similar to all others borne, but I so appreciate those who bear theirs. Being with my family in Utah I realize that I just go through the motions of life I don't offer the extra I don't go to the next level like I should (my parents and my sister and brother and their families are so amazing!). We are horribly inconsistent scripture readers and with FHE its probably 4-6 times a year and I can justify it all away as to why we don't, but it comes down to commitment to the extras. Saying I am a good person, I talk to my kids about it, we don't have to be so formal...you know justifying it...but not really making the effort. Which is too bad because I do have a testimony and I am glad that I have the gospel in my life, my heart is overflowing with gratitude, but it is sedentary gratitude.
I am sure you have all read the post about the dressing your truth stuff that I wrote when I got my hair cut. Carol Tuttle is a therapist and she talks about how life manifests itself to you if you'll open your mind and heart to it, and how you should use more I am statements to help you believe and reach your goals.
“I accept my life for what it is and am committed to putting forth the effort to change it.”
“I am believing that the best is possible.”
“I am seeing the good in all things.”
“I am seeing more of the good in myself.”
These are just four of the examples Carol gives. I love the first one and "I am" going to use it!!! I don't know how many times my kids say that's too hard and I tell them life is hard get use to it, but I don't follow that same advise!! I don't do the GREAT things because its TOO HARD to change the way I am now. I found a great blog...its called the Redheaded Hostess and she is a Seminary teacher that has put some great tips to study the scriptures and "I AM" going to start using them in my personal scripture study.
I accept my life for what it is and I am committed to putting forth the effort to Change IT!!! I AM going to work at being Great not just settling for good!
1 comment:
Tammie, You are awesome. You have so many great qualities. I am lucky to call you my friend. I miss you and your smile so much. YOU CAN DO IT!! Love ya!!
Post a Comment