Sunday, October 12, 2014

July 23, 2013 Hiking Table Mountain

Boy this was a long, long day! We got up and on the road by 5am.  Nancy and her crew met us and we headed to Driggs.  We were on the trail by 7 am (ish).
 We started out as a group. Nancy and her son Hayden, Michelle and her daughter Kaylee and her friend Lizzy, and Lyndi and Hannah.  Then Abbie, Hailey, Cierra and I.  We were much slower than the other group and I think they got tired of waiting for us.  So they reached the top of the mountain much earlier than us!
 Do you like the look on Abbie's face?  That was about 1 mile into the hike and she was done, she'd had it!  She stopped and demanded that she wasn't going any further...needless to say...she did go further.   We all made it to the top and she was happy by the time we got there!
 After the first mile the climb became much easier.  This part was heaven!!  There were wildflowers everywhere and a little stream!  Beautiful!!!
 More...beauty of the earth!!!
 At this point it started to get steep again.  Where was a huge rock field that we had to climb over.  It was our game to find rocks in shapes of various states. As we were climbing, the girls decided to go out and walk on the snow.  From our angle it didn't look too bad, but from up above where Michelle took the picture you can see that it probably wasn't the best idea!!!
 Here we are on the top.  The others had been there for 1/2 hour longer than us and were pretty much ready to leave.  We tried to hurry and eat and catch up but we never could.

So when we got to the bottom of the switchbacks on Huckleberry there was a spring coming out of the hill, the girls were tired and we hadn't caught up and we were still hungry so we stopped to go to the bathroom and play in the water and eat some more.  I even got the water purifier out so they could taste the spring water.

The rest of these pictures are just fun candid shots of our hike!  It was long and hard.  We were so tired by the time we got back to the truck, which I think was between 5 and 5:30, and back home by a little after 7.  I am not sure I could ever get them to hike this with me again.  I do know that I would not EVER want to hike out Huckleberry again.  I'll take sore toes and knees from the steep 1 mile of the face trail than the beating 7 miles gave us!!!


No comments: