Bill went to a Scout training meeting and they were told that the High Adventure is for the Varsity scouts...Venture scouts have a Super Activity!!! It made me laugh so I thought that's what I would name my post!!
Last Fall Bill took his scouts to Yellowstone National Park to bike through the park for their week long adventure. As luck would have it I was invited to go along as their cook! I love to camp and its something that we don't get to do as often as I would like, so I was excited to say yes. Bill asked his folks to bring their trailer along and come with us too. They only had 5 boys so it wasn't too bad. The first night we got there they took off on their first bike ride...we were staying at the Madison Campground they set up camp and they rode their bikes up to Norris. I stayed back and started dinner, they said at the end they were glad that bike ride was the first day, because on a map it doesn't look so far away, but its up hill both ways!!! They came back, we had dinner and they played in the river for a while.

The second day the guys woke up and it was drizzling and they weren't sure whether or not they wanted to bike in that weather, after eating breakfast in the trailer the weather cleared up and turned into a beautiful day. They rode to Old Faithful and I drove up a couple hours later to meet them for lunch at a cafe there. We watched Old Faithful errupt...I left and went to start dinner and the boys went exploring some more and rode back to the campground.
The third day we got up and had breakfast and packed our lunches for the big hike day. We were hiking the 7 Mile Hole trail to the bottom of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. This day I got to go to!!! We took a lot of pictures...it was a beautiful day!!!
Here are just a bunch of random pictures of us on the way down.
When we got to the bottom of the river, Bill had his water filter and filled up everyone's water pouches. I took off my shoes and socks to soak my feet in the river...Bro. Hermanson wanted to take my picture like those of Bill and Jesse's below, and when I stood up my foot slipped off the rock and I jammed my toes into another rock...you guessed it I broke my middle toe it wasn't pleasant hiking back up, but I did it and in my opinion with little to no whining!!! It was hurting but I didn't think I broke it until we got back to camp and took my shoe off again!! On the way back out it rained on us for about 10 min and we had to get our poncho's out, but it didn't last long enough to really bother with them and the poncho's just made us sweatier!!!
Anyway it was a pretty fun trip!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment